I wanted to reach out to you and make you aware of a few things happening in the Town of Jay.
Our Food Pantry is fully stocked and available to anyone who is struggling to buy groceries. The pantry is available by appointment only and can be accessed by calling the Town of Jay Supervisor’s Office at 518-647-2204 x101. All measures of social distancing and safety must be observed when picking up food boxes. Masks are required.
In spite of the fact that the offices remain closed, we are available to you via phone and e-mail. A few important contacts would include:
• Supervisor Archie Depo- email@example.com or 518-647-2204 x103
• Clerk to the Supervisor/Deputy Town Clerk Carol Greenley-Hackel firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tax Collector Susan Richards- email@example.com
• Town Assessor Timothy Gay – Timothy.Gay@essexcountyny.gov
• Code Enforcement Officer Robbe Baer – firstname.lastname@example.org or 518-647-2204 x106
• DPW Clerk Jessie McDonald- email@example.com – 518-647-2204 x125
• DPW Director Kevin Zaumetzer- 518-225-4599
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions and concerns. Also, please check the Town of Jay website at townofjayny.gov as we are regularly posting updates and items of interest there.
Unfortunately, due to NY State Social Distancing Guidelines, the Regular Board Meeting scheduled for May 14th will not be open to the public. We are, however, working on making it available on ZOOM. Please stay tuned for updates as to how to participate in that meeting as we get closer to the date.
In closing, I’d like to take a moment to acknowledge the many acts of kindness and generosity that are exhibited daily by the residents of the Town of Jay. From our frontline workers to our generous donors, the spirit of community service is alive and well in Jay. I am humbled and proud to be the Supervisor of a town where residents are so willing to put others ahead of themselves, and I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.
Please stay well,
TAX COLLECTOR’S INFORMATION
ALL UNPAID TAXES HAVE BEEN TURNED OVER TO THE ESSEX COUNTY TREASURER AND ARE NO LONGER PAYABLE AT THE TOWN.
PLEASE CONTACT THE ESSEX COUNTY TREASURER AT 518-873-3310 FOR THE CURRENT PAYABLE AMOUNT OR FOR 2020 RECEIPTS.
If you are looking for 2020 Land Tax receipts of payment, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for the quickest turn around response, as I will only be checking messages and mail periodically now that the Tax Collection season is over! For receipts prior to 2020, please contact the Essex County Treasurer’s Office for a print out at (518) 873-3310.
For exemption questions and/or anything related to assessment, please contact the Town of Jay Assessor at (518) 647-2204 x105.
The Town of Jay Highway/DPW Department is now accepting applications for a full time (40 hour per week) Motor Equipment Operator. Applicants must possess a valid NYS CDL with no restrictions. One (1) year experience required. Town residents will be given first priority. Starting pay is $15 per hour plus benefits. Please call the Highway Department at 518-647-2204 ext 125 to make arrangements for an application.
As I am sure most of you are aware, Governor Andrew Cuomo has extended the “pause” in New York State until May 15th. Many of you have expressed frustration and anxiety over concerns of potential financial hardship in the weeks ahead. I would like to reassure you that the Town of Jay will continue to support you through our food pantry and grocery and prescription delivery service for the elderly and shut ins while we remain in “pause”. In an attempt to streamline the process of obtaining assistance, the Supervisor’s Office will be taking requests for aid, by appointment only, by calling 518-647-2204 between the hours of 9:00 am and 11:00 am, Monday thru Friday. We ask that you make every attempt to adhere to the town policy of only requesting help every 30 days except in the case of extreme emergency. (delivery of Food Pantry items is available if you cannot pick up in person). Social distancing guidelines will be firmly in place while picking up/delivering items to ensure the safety of both staff and recipients.
In closing, I would like to take time to gratefully acknowledge the many acts of neighbor helping neighbor, volunteerism and service to others in our community. Kindness is alive and well in the Town of Jay. I ask you to remember how far we have come in slowing the spread of this virus, and I ask that you please stay home if you can, keep in touch with your neighbors, practice good social distancing and wear your face coverings in public spaces. Together, we will get through this.
Please take notice that the Town of Jay will hold and conduct their regularly scheduled monthly meeting on April 9, 2020 at 7:00 pm.
The Meeting will be conducted at the Town Hall for Town officials.
The public will not be able to physically attend.
The meeting will be recorded and transcribed for the public and posted to the Town website.
Should any member of the public request a copy of the recording or transcription, the public may request the same from the Town Clerk by calling (518)647-2201.
The Town Board will take up all matters, as well as matters which may be raised from the floor.
The proposed resolutions will be available for review on the Town website.
The Town of Jay thanks you for your cooperation during these trying times.
Due to the Novel Corona Virus, as of today, March 23, 2020, the Town of Jay has declared a State of Emergency, which will remain in place until further notice. Although a State of Emergency has been called, action will only occur should conditions require it.
Please be advised of the following Town of Jay updates with regards to COVID-19 from Supervisor Archie Depo :
- The Town of Jay Supervisor’s Office will be managing business via e-mail and telephone only. Our contact information is as follows; Supervisor Depo, 518-647-2204 x103 or 518-534-8152 or by e-mail at email@example.com or Clerk to the Supervisor Carol Greenley Hackel at 518-647-2204 x102 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Supervisor Depo will be in the office and appointments to meet with him may be made by calling ahead.
- The Town of Jay Court announces the following; As per Executive Order there will be no court appearances for the next 30 days and no personal appearances. Please contact the court for information by calling 518-6472204 x 107 or by email at email@example.com
- The Town of Jay Tax Collector Susan Richards has suspended office hours until further notice and will be available by phone on a regularly checked answering machine at 518-647-2204 x 108 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org only.
- The Town of Jay Town Clerk’s Office will be suspending office hours until further notice. Please direct any inquiries or requests for death certificates, birth certificates, marriage licenses, dog licenses or handicap hangers to Deputy Town Clerk Carol Greenley-Hackel via e-mail at email@example.com
These measures are a direct result of Governor Cuomo’s latest directives on social distancing and the requirements that New York State has put in place in order to help stop the spread of COVID-19. As I said in a previous statement, I have no doubt that the residents of the Town of Jay will be strong and united in a spirit of community and service to others while navigating the difficult and uncertain days and weeks ahead. Please stay safe and if at all possible, stay home.
advised of the following COVID-19 update from Town of Jay DPW Director Kevin
Town of Jay Highway Employees are taking the necessary precautions and
disinfecting the cabs and personal areas of all Town of Jay trucks and heavy
equipment regularly in an attempt to keep our drivers as safe as possible.
Town of Jay Highway Garage common areas, office spaces and restrooms are being
disinfected on an aggressive schedule in an attempt to protect against the
spread of the Corona Virus
Highway Garage Office is staffed and conducting business as usual, however, we
are requesting that if at all possible, you contact us via e-mail or telephone
in an attempt to say in compliance with Governor Cuomo’s request for social
distancing. You can reach out to us by phone at 518-647-2204 extension 125 or
by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding of our current
situation. Rest assured that we are working diligently to keep our employees as
safe as possible in the attempts to stop the spread of the Corona Virus. I am
extremely proud of their efforts to serve our community while maintaining high
levels of safety for themselves, their families and the community. Please do
not hesitate to call me with any questions or concerns.
An update from Supervisor Depo;
- The Town of Jay Community Center Gym is closed until further notice. We felt that this was a necessary measure in order to help stop the spread of the corona virus. It is an extremely large space and we did not feel that we could safely keep it disinfected.
- Extra measures are being taken to ensure that the Town Offices are being cleaned and disinfected on an aggressive schedule. Hard surfaces and restrooms are regularly wiped down with quality cleaning products.
- The Supervisors Office is staffed and conducting regular town business, however, we are requesting that if at all possible you contact us by phone or e-mail with any requests or questions so as to keep in compliance with Governor Cuomo’s request for social distancing. Please do not hesitate to contact us via phone at 518-647-2204 or by e-mail at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we navigate the days and weeks ahead. Residents of the Town of Jay have dealt with difficult situations in the past and have always pulled together with kindness and community spirit. I have no doubts that we will approach this situation with the same strength and courage. Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Article 40, Section 1650 of New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law that certain roads within the Town of Jay will be posted on or about as of March 20, 2020 to any motor vehicle in excess of seven (7) tons. These postings will remain in effect until removed by the Highway Superintendent.
Permit Applications for those performing essential services are available at the Town of Jay Highway Office. Cooperation during spring thawing will protect the public investment in our roads.
Per Kevin Zaumetzer, Town of Jay Highway Superintendent